Saturday, July 10, 2010

left: Bill Gleason - wbgleason, right: Bob Collins - Newscut


Anatomy of a Flame War


or

How Not To Spend Saturday

or

Professional vs. Non-Professional

Cage Match




According to the MPR website Bob Collins "directs MPR's foray into online journalism." Since he earns his money in this way, I think it is appropriate to refer to him as a professional journalist. On the other hand my work, that he labels grafitti, is obviously amateur in the true sense of the word - no money, and thus not professional. I think this interchange shows a lot about both of us.


Bob Collins NewsCut @dbrauer This is why I often don't vote. It's not up to me. It's up to candidates to give me a reason to give a damn.

Bill Gleason wbgleason @NewsCut @dbrauer ... 2 main players who seem to be pushing the issue COULD have done something to push it } Really? with a veto proof gov?

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @dbrauer This is why I often don't vote [sic] It's up to candidates to give me a reason ... } How about state going down toilet?

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason If it is, then inspire me with your plan. "I'm not him/her" doesn't inspire me. YMMV

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason Right. Because you only control 2/3s of state government, you should do nothing but whine. That's a solid plan for success.

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason The DFL had options inthe budget fight if they thought they were right, they were just two timid to have that kind of a showdown.

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason The DFL had options budget fight if they thought they were right} Get serious...how many brave GOPers broke ranks? Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason If it is, then inspire me with your plan I'm not him/her doesn't inspire me} Absurd. You need inspired to vote?

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason Yes. If that doens't work for you, that's a shame. But it works for me. Give me a reason to vote for you, or move along.

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason Right. Because you only control 2/3s of state gov, you should do nothing} Again get real. Veto proof gov? fersure

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason So really, then, a legislative candidate's slogan should be "I can't make a difference w/o a veto proof majority"? Inspiring

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason Here. Scroll down to "You didn't answer my question." http://www.publicradio.org/columns/news_dnc/

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason It's a tough sell that the answer to getting better government is for the people to lower their standards applied to candidates.

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason Again, there were options to caving in to the governor and GOP minority. But both knew DFL didn't have stomach for the fight.

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason But it works for me. Give me a reason to vote for you, or move along. } How about civic responsibility? Guess not

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason leg candidate's slogan should be "I can't make a difference w/o a veto proof majority"?|Who said that? prof journo?

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason I said that. What's the problem now?

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT NewCut @wbgleason Here. Scroll down to "You didn't answer my question." Sent email July 6 - did you get it? Seem a little touchy today.

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason ... the answer to getting better government is to lower standards applied to candidates. | Bob, straw man?

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason Have we stopped the intellectual part of this discussion now? Cuz I gotta mow the lawn soon.

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason Have we stopped the intellectual part of this discussion now? }Did you get the email? Also have better things to do

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason No. And I'm now off to turn the compost pile. enjoyed

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason No. }Then stop complaining and check your email: "Collins, Bob" date Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Bill Gleason wbgleason @NewsCut I've got a post up, Bob. Feel free to comment there. http://bit.ly/z6VpS I'm sure everyone else is sick of this by now. Ciao.

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason You created a reality.You asked if I got your email, I said "no." You interpreted that as not checking.Reality:I did.Wasn't there

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason That's just childish graffiti, Bill.

Bill Gleason wbgleason @NewsCut Sound-bites your method? Sound like those MN pols you won't vote for. For discussion-> http://bit.ly/z6VpS #Minnesota

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason Thanks, Bill. If you ever want to write an informed post, give me a call 651-290-1414, ask questions, get informed, then write.

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason Or you can stop by an talk face to face and then write. anytime. The offer's always open to anyone.

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason Thanks, Bill. If you ever want to write an informed post, give me a call} Patronize much? http://bit.ly/cMofT8

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason Take the offer. Don't take the offer. It's up to you. Are we done now?


Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason That's just childish graffiti, Bill. -> http://bit.ly/cMofT8 Leave comments, Bob, and stop patronizing...

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason So this was merely an exercise to try to build an audience for your blog? Rants over research for bloggers is kind of 2006y.


Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason So this was merely an exercise to try to build an audience for your blog?}You call yourself a professional journo?

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason Actually, I don't. Which you'd know if you had researched.

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason Actually, I don't. Which you'd know if you had researched.}Actually I did. Emerson C flyboy. You make $ as journo Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason And is that the same as calling myself a professional journo?

Bob Collins NewsCut @wbgleason And, my title is "blogger."

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @NewsCut @wbgleason calling myself a professional journo?} Bob, get real. What's your handle? Are you an unprofessional journalist?

Bill Gleason wbgleason RT @KatieNadeau Public bickering is a bummer.} I asked Bob early on to step outside-he doesn't seem to want to -> http://bit.ly/ahSIL0 fini


Who says they don't do flame wars like they used to?


(Apparently, after Mom stepped in and - rightly - asked for the bickering to stop, Bob unfollowed her. Bob's protestations about not being a professional may be correct? Talk about a bully pulpit...)


+++

No comments: